Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Mac Reedy's

Ask Tog - HCI and Macs. I enjoyed using the various Kintoshes at chez Turnbull, Safari seemed a bit sloooow but I liked the display of the page-load progress in the location bar. Took my mind off how long it took to render pages.. but I managed to download Firefox and run it off the desktop. Then I moved it into an application folder using Finder and started it with the dock. Way! I can use a Mac now! I even know to remember to look up the top for the menus, and look in "recent apps" or use Finder. Though I'm not sure how to find Finder..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I believe that to be well-worth the decrease in the time required to show displayable content"

So there.

A

stuartd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
stuartd said...

Yeah, don't beat yourself up. It /was/ on the older box.

My considered wisdom on this is that nglayout.initialpaint.delay (or the equivalent pref in Safari) should be set to 100 - if 100ms is the allowable reaction time for the Olympic sprinting then it's good enough for me: it seems smoother, too, though by nature it should be imperceptible..