Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Who ever presses the 'home' button anyway?

I notice that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom removed support for "about:mozilla" from Internet Explorer in XP Service Pack 2. Type it in the address bar and instead of a pleasing blue page (which previous versions would render) IE displays its standard 'Action Cancelled' page. Unless you set about:mozilla to be your home page, in which case when IE starts it shows simply the word "Mozilla". Or you could use other text - if you set your home page to be "about:You should use Firefox instead - it's much safer" (you obviously have to do this directly in the tools\internet options dialog) then that's what you see when IE starts up, without the about:. Juvenile I know, but I'm stretching for reasons to ever use IE these days. When I use it very occasionally to test this or that it seems so clunky.

Firefox 1.0 is out today: pause to download and install it: run it and make it your default browser - your computer will thank you.

1 comment:

stuartd said...

We used to go to those godawful MS developer conferences in Wembley - I always fell asleep during Bill Gates' (video'd) keynote speech, with Rangor getting all grumpy with me & kicking my leg to stop me twitching..